1/24/10

EX VOTO “Life’s Work/Life is Work” PL&PH


Sick Thrills in the
Real World

by Paula Lopez

I’ve only have had 5 jobs in my life, counting my current one. Working here in the trenches has not been bad. When the title of The Freedom Fighter, a.k.a. Queen Puh Bah, was given to me by my supervisor I was honored. So far it has been good. Can’t complain because there’s been worse situations. I’ve waved good-bye to many, however, as they escaped the encampment.

You probably figured out by now that I’m speaking in code. Working for a weekly newspaper has been a step in the right direction. I went to college and received a degree in graphic design, and along the way received a photography certificate. I am one of the few that has a job doing what they studied for. It let’s me be who I am: a child at heart. I like a working environment where we work as a team. Working against a deadline is a sick thrill for me.

It’s not my dream job, but it keeps a roof over my head and food on the table. Along the way I had to work with idiots and jerks for bosses. I was glad to hand a resignation over to my last one. He had no people skills, loved to cut corners and belittle people. Lets say if OSHA ever got a hold of him, he would out of a job.

Eventually I will move back home, Southern CA, and find a job down there. Maybe with the L.A. Times or L.A. Magazine. They and many others, told me to get experience first; the degree was good, but they wanted more. It’s a dream, I know. But dreaming is how the strong survive. Either way I know I’ve learned more out in the real world than any college or university can teach.

––––


Birth Mother:
F/T, Multi-task. Some Benefits.

by Pearl Heer

WORST Job, No. 1: In regard to stress and effort, acting as God’s little helper in going forth and multiplying.

BEST Job: Regarding stress, effort, fun and games; seeing the results of No. 1 going from itty-bitty, to all grown-up.

DREAM Job: In regard to pay-off, pride and public acclaim—bringing up a whole hutch full of Heers!

No comments: